Antique Safes/price estimate for antique safe

Question
Antique Safe
Antique Safe  

Antique Safe
Antique Safe  
Our small town community store, circa 1906, has an antique safe that we believe was bought at approximately the same time.  It was manufactured by the Gary Safe Co. in Buffalo, NY.  I have researched and seen what looks to be the same safe on sights and ours seems to be in better condition.  We would like to get an experts advice on the probably price that we could expect to get from a sale.  I will attache pictures.  Thank you in advance for your time and attention to our request!

Judy Schultz

Answer
Hi Judy,

The name of the company is the:  "CARY Safe Company", not Gary.    The Gary Safe Company was in Los Angeles about 90 years later!

The internet can best be described using the term "GIGO", which stands for Garbage In, Garbage Out.    Just because you find something you believe to be "similar" doesn't mean it is at all.   As far as appraising antique safes, its all about what you actually have and condition, condition, condition.   Also everyone thinks that their cute little safe is in mint condition, which is why having an unbiased opinion or appraisal is necessary.

Based on the photos you have included, it appears that the interior cabinetry has been modified and the exterior paint has significant damage.    Fortunately I've seen much worse safes.   I will need MUCH better photos to appraise it for you.    I will also need a close up of the ball of the handles, with the serial number so that I can come up with a date your safe would have been made.

I am more than happy to look at your safe to answer questions about it.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

________________________________________________________________________

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)