Antique Safes/restoration of Hall's safe

Question
I have a Hall's safe, Cincinnati O.,that my father got from a railroad depot, north of Nashville TN years ago. On the handle is: Z 20532. It looks just like some on Ebay now, that state 1906.It works fine and I am interested in having it restored. Do u know of someone close to me who can do this and about what should I expect to pay? I also live north of Nashville. Thank you

Answer
Hi John,

Happy Independence Day Weekend!

First I have to caution you NOT to compare your safe to anything on eBay, many of the safes are mismarked and/or identified.   If you want an evaluation of your safe, then let it stand on its own two feet - err, 4 wheels!

As far as anyone near you doing antique safe restorations, probably the nearest that I would recommend would be:

Matt's Antique Safe Restoration
Ashland, Oh,
https://www.facebook.com/Matts-Antique-Safe-Restoration-114499335320464/
419-606-3168
Matt Lamborn
gosigns@neo.rr.com

While I understand that he is about 7 hours away from you (400 plus miles), he is the nearest and possibly the best restoration artist I can recommend.

As far as COST that you should expect to pay - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the cost will be dependent on how much work NEEDS to be done and how much work YOU want done.    If all your safe needs is a good cleaning and a bit of touch up paint, if you can't make this a DIY project then you possibly have some one more local you can have do the work.   Automotive painters, Motorcycle painters, graphic artists, even the art students at a local college might be all that you need.
However if you want a full restoration and/or a really nice job done, then Matt's your man.

Check out his FaceBook page to get an idea of some of the safes he has restored and the quality of his work.

Hope this helps out, sorry there isn't anyone I can recommend closer to you, however there are only about 1/2 dozen guys in the entire country that even do this type of work.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)