Antique Safes/Safe help

Question
Safe Dial
Safe Dial  

Other Info
Other Info  
Hello,

My parents recently passed away and in getting their house ready to sell I found their safe. I am planning on keeping the safe but I cant open it. I was hoping that you might be able to give me some info on the safe dial. I will also add some photos of the safe.

Safe Info:

Dimensions
-H: 5ft. 6in. (includes wheels)
-W: 2ft. 11in.
-D: 2ft. 4in.

Double Doors

Manufactured by Stiffel & Freeman Co.

Dial face says S&F Stiffel and Freeman

Other info
-says W.R.Marshall on the door

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Answer
Hi Justin,

The lock that I would expect to find on this safe would be a Yale 027, 4 wheel lock with a rotary bolt.   This lock would provide 100,000,000 possible combination sequences

If you can find their combination then you can hopefully open the safe.

The dialing sequence for this lock would be:

5 times Right to the first number,
4 times Left to the second number,
3 times Right to the third number,
2 times Left to the fourth number,
1 time Right until the dial stops - turn the handle to open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Your other options would include:

1.   Test dialing all of the combinations.   Testing 5000 each and every day would result in it taking about 55 years to test them all!

2.   Contacting a local safe company to have their safe technician open, repair and recover the combination for your safe.

If you need the help of a safe company, check your yellow pages under safes & vaults.   If you don't have a local safe company, I will need your zip code to see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)