Antique Safes/Safe - The Howe Scale Company

Question
Howe safe
Howe safe  
We have a family safe (pic attached) and presumably have the combination in three different forms that all match. Apparently I am inept at clearing the dial and understanding the exact procedure for "Left, Right and Left Go past" directions that I have.

Many thanks for any advice you may provide.

Answer
Hi Tim,

Your safe appears to possibly be a J. Baum Safe & Lock Co., safe.    The Howe Scale Company was a distributor and not a manufacturer of safes.

as far as the forms the combination is written down in - generally people write down and/or pass on combinations the way that THEY understand them, and NOT necessarily the way the lock actually works.

The lock on the safe is a Yale, probably an OB series lock.

The dialing sequence is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right slowly until the dial stops - turn handle to open

Note 1:   There is no "clearing" - when the lock was locked the combo was cleared, simply dial as above.    Any other dial turning to "clear" the lock is for your benefit and NOT the locks.

Note 2:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.    DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance if your first number is 25, simply begin turning counter clockwise (left), stopping the FOURTH time the number 25 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

hope this helps, if you have any questions about the safe let me know.   If you still can't get it to open, you may have other problems which will require hands on expertise.   For this you will need a safe technician from a local safe company.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)