Antique Safes/W.H. Butler Safe

Question
Andy, I texted several phone photo's to Steve to see if there was any interest in the Butler. I've restored several dozen 1800's safes over the years, but this one I'm going to spend some time on. It was originally painted woodgrain to make it look like a piece of furniture. I've done several safes in old crackle style, off white paint to make it look real old, but I've not attempted woodgrain yet. I bought a graining tool and am going to practice on some sheet metal until I get the hang of it. The interior panels on the doors still has the woodgrain that was done by Mr. Butler. Do you know if they used varnish on top of the brown leaded paint in the Civil War days?
Greg Kline

Answer
Hi Greg,

I'm not sure if he showed them to me or not, I've had about 2 dozen requests to look at safes today alone.

Best thing is to send them directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

My recommendation if you are interested in doing the woodgrain type finish would be to contact either David or Desmond Siah in Singapore.   This is one of the styles that they are very well versed in.

http://www.siaholdsafe.com/

Generally yes, all the manufacturers used varnish to clear coat and protect the safe paint.    As old as most of the varnish is on these older safes it leads to severe yellowing and/or crazing of the finish.     I have people tell me all the time that their safe looks like it has been through a fire, but they have no records of these.    I have to tell them it's simply the really old varnish.

I'm not sure what you mean by "interest in the Butler".    If you are looking to sell the safe, then no.   We do not buy older safes.   We are simply not in the antique business.    That doesn't mean that we don't acquire and/or do some restoration work, it simply means that is not what our main business is.
Are we interested in your safe, yes I'm interested in all of the old safes that I see, and I love to see people that are interested in restoration work.

Great idea to practice on a separate piece of sheet steel BEFORE starting on the safe.    I've got one of the tools however little kids with crayons have more artistic capability than I.

Good luck with it and yes I would like to see what you actually have.

Andy

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)