Antique Safes/In wall Murphy Bed Door Co Safe

Question
QUESTION: Andy,

How do I identify an appropriate professional in Salt Lake City or surrounding areas to help me open one of these safes?  Do you have someone you can recommend?

It is encased in a concrete wall and a house I just purchased.  I found 2 professionals in Utah on SAVTA's website.  Are these people appropriate?  I've read your previous responses about finding a safe technician and not relying on a locksmith.  However, it seems my searches primarily identify all locksmiths.

Thank you!
Emil

ANSWER: Hi Emil,

unfortunately, you don't have much of a choice in your area.

In general while MOST safe technicians are also locksmiths, Most locksmiths are rarely also safe technicians.     My shop is a perfect example.    While myself and one of my junior safe techs are trained locksmiths and safe technicians, my two journeyman safe techs have no locksmith experience other than a bit of hands on.      If you called us up and ask us to open your car because you lost or locked the keys inside I would show up with a large hammer and ask which window you don't need.    Similarly most locksmiths DON'T have the necessary training, knowledge and tools to work on safes without doing excessive damage.     The difference being that a PROFESSIONAL should be willing to tell you I can't do that type of work.    Problem is that most of these guys are businessmen first and professionals second or third.    They DO NOT want to turn any business away, and will attempt to take care of the problem many times at YOUR expense.

Safes like the Murphy wall safes are very specialized, and in fact many trained safemen have never even seen one, much less worked on one.

Bottom line, unless you are willing to pay for a professional safe technician to come from quite aways off, you are stuck with what's available in your area.    This means that YOU will have to decide if the company you call is qualified to do the work without destroying or ruining the safe.    In fact if the word "ruin" even comes up in the conversation you should probably walk away!

You can try the following company.    If they can't do the work, they may have a recommendation for someone in your area.    I come up to SLC every year or so to see relatives, however I have no plans in the immediate future for visiting.

Glens Key, Lock and Safe Company
801-355-1000
1147 South State Street
Salt Lake City, Utah   84111

Discuss the work with them to decide if you want them to do the work.   If you have specific questions concerning what they propose and/or pricing - feel free to run it by me first - before having them do the work.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have a better solution.

QUESTION: Thank you for taking time to answer me and research safe techs in my area.  I found Glen's also and will go ahead and speak with them.  Do you have any interest in taking a crack at the safe next time you're in Salt Lake CIty?

Emil

Answer
Hi Emil,

Bottom line it depends on you.   I don't know when I will be in Salt Lake City, though I would like to be there before the end of the year.   If you can wait, then I'll add it to my schedule.   If, on the other hand you are curious and don't want to wait, then I would discuss the project with one of the local safe companies.    If they are not familiar with the safe and/or use the word ruin in the discussion, then I would recommend waiting.

As far as my taking a "crack" at the safe!  LOL,  We don't waste our time by trying, we will succeed.   LOL

If you decide to wait, send an email directly to me with your contact info to:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

I'll send you what my charges would be to open the safe for you - again though, I don't have a planned date for my next visit.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)