Antique Safes/Antique safe history & restoration options

Question
front view of safe
front view of safe  

Interior doors
Interior doors  
Last week our office finally brought home the historic safe of the Lewis County (WA) Auditor & Recorder after being absent for the past 54 years.

What we know
On the front doors:
Macneale & Urban Cin
Raymond & Wilshire, San Francisco
Auditor & Recorder Lewis County

Height 6' 1.5"; Width 3' 8"; Depth 2' 9.5"; Weight 4,390

A couple of initial questions:
Approximate date it was built?
Where to look for someone or a company to restore the safe's exterior.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Answer
Hi Larry,

Safes manufactured under the name MacNeale & Urban in Cincinnati, Oh., were made between 1870 through 1890.

George A. Raymond and William B. Wilshire (Raymond & Wilshire) were sales agents for MacNeale & Urban in San Francisco during the 1870's and 1880's.    They also sold other items like Scales and Trunks.

To try to narrow down the date of manufacture more I will need much better photos of your safe.

John Hauser the painter, painted numerous safes for the Hall's Safe & Lock Company and also for MacNeale & Urban in Cincinnati between 1875-1880.   While it is much easier to identify safes which were painted by him on the Hall's Safe & Lock line, MacNeale & Urban safes are more difficult to ID.   Hauser's art work was generally of "old West" type scene's, including some landscapes.

As far as restoration work, there are only a couple guys in the entire US that do restoration work on safes.   The problem with your safe is the size.   Shipping it to be restored will be a challenge itself.   Probably the only safe artist that I would recommend for your safe is in Ohio.   You can see some of his work by going to

https://www.facebook.com/Matts-Antique-Safe-Restoration-114499335320464/

If you would like me to look at your safe, I would be happy to but I'll need much better photos.

_______________________________________________________________________

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)