Antique Safes/arthur b curtis safe

Question
Hello Andy,  I have an old safe that has been in my family awhile.  I trying to do some research on it, the number 1 search result was you on this page.  I read your answer to that post and you said Arthur b Curtis did not manf. the safes.  I cannot find any specific markings at all.  The one 2 things are the Arthur B. Curtis. and another name IDA L Davis. maybe you could offer a little assistance in helping me to try identify this one.

Answer
Hi Mike,

You are correct, Arthur B. Curtis was not a manufacturer of safes.   He was a sales agent or distributor of safes - for a couple of different companies.

Unfortunately there are numerous items on the safes that we use for identification.   Many of them are VERY similar from maker to maker, so we have to look for details which will help us to ID the container.    I've got examples of about 40 safes that we have never been able to accurately ID yet - but we are always working on them.

As far as the name "Ida L. Davis", this was possibly an owner at some point.   Youi can do some historical research on this person and/or the town that your family acquired the safe in to see if you can possibly ID the person and/or when they may have owned the safe.    Unfortunately there are no records from the safe companies to tell when it was made, who sold it and/or who may have owned it.   All we have at this point is that it was sold by Arthur B. Curtis at some time, possibly to "Ida L. Davis".

I would be more than happy to look at the safe to try to id it for you, however I will need photos of the safe - inside and out.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)