Antique Safes/Cary safe

Question
A
A  

A
A  
I have picked up a Cary safe from an old building I'm working in. The number in the Handel is 136657. It is missing the tumbler and the diel. Was wondering what lock came with it and if it was able to be repaired. Their are two screw holes that are cracked on the inside of the safe where the tumbler goes. I'm new to the antique safe world.

Answer
Hi Jonathan

Your Cary Safe would have been made around 1914.   The lock that you need as a replacement is a Yale Y-6 series.    I'm not sure why the lock would be missing out of your safe unless it was removed for safety, so that someone wouldn't get locked inside, or possibly it is in someone's collection.

I've got a couple locks that may work for your safe, but I'm not sure if I have the Y-6 or the newer model M-16 series.   Basically the lock bodies were the same but the Y-6 was a four wheel lock and the M-16 was a three wheel lock, with an internal relocking dog for extra protection in the event of a burglary.

You can send an email directly to me, reminding me of what you need.    I'll look through my old locks to see what I have.    I can send you photos of the locks and dials as well.

You can also check around with local safe companies to see if they might have this lock and dial.

What other questions do you have about your safe - And welcome to the world of antique safes.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)