Antique Safes/Identify safe

multi pics
multi pics  
I was told this could be a Taylor safe.
From Canada

Dean, I have seen a few safes with that decorative cast wheel skirting.  At least one was a Taylor for sure.  However another was labeled Wm.Bacon of Boston.  Now I have read that Briggs out of Rochester made the safes for Bacon. So just based on the skirting we have maybe.  Taylor did use S&G locks, also out of Rochester, but so did other makers.  I would direct you to a Canadian website called The owner Geoff Joly should be able to help you ID that safe. He is very knowledgable about antique Taylor safes.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place