Antique Safes/Milner safe weight

Question
Milner safe
Milner safe  

I hope you can help. I have bought a large Milner safe of dimensions 30" X 23" X 42" HIGH and I'm having trouble getting it into my flat. I need to know the rough weight of it to assess whether or not it'll go in my lift and whether my floor might take the weight.

Thank you for your help!

Amanda

Answer
Hi Amanda,

While this isn't a large safe it is still big enough to way a bit and to be a bit of trouble moving.    Chances are it weighs around 600-700 lbs  (possibly 500-800 lb range).   This means special equipment which I see you have some of in the photo with the pallet jack.

The pallet jack should make moving it around fairly easy but the problems begin with getting the pallet OUT from underneath the safe, getting it set into place without damaging the floor and getting it level.

As far as your "lift" or elevator, unless you own the building I would first check to see what the weight rating of the elevator is.   If the safe and equipment is within 2/3rds of the safe working limit of the elevator then I would strongly recommend having the elevator operated manually by the elevator maintenance company.   They can hand set the brakes and run it to ensure no problems.   ALSO, before moving the safe with the lift, make sure you have permission of the building owner or facility management staff.   They may require an insurance rider in case of damage.    This is NOT one of those cases where its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

As for the floor holding the weight, in general most floors are designed to hold the equivalent of about 300-400 lbs per square foot in the center of the floor which would be the weakest area.   Along the walls the floors are generally supported so that this would be the strongest part of the floor.   
As your safe basically covers about 4.8 square feet of space and using the 300 lbs per square foot number, the floor SHOULD hold about 1450 lbs where the safe sits.

Again, if you DON"T own the building, get permission to move the safe into the building.   Many buildings utilize building engineers to figure out WHERE a heavy object should be placed so that it doesn't cause a detrimental effect on the structure or building.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)