Antique Safes/I have an old file safe, I'm wondering if it worths anything

Question
QUESTION: Hi there is have a save with 5 drawers I can't find any info on line. It has a tag on the back that said SAFE MANUFACTURERS NATIONAL ASSOCIATION ASSOCIATION. SPEC. F2-ND
4Z16351
CAT. NO. 8195-12.
I HAVE NO KEY FOR IT BUT I'M MOVING OUT AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF IS WORTH THE JOB OF MOVING IT WITH ME, BECAUSE IT IS SO HEAVY. THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME.

ANSWER: Hi Jose,

I'm not sure what you are referring to about "if it is worth the job of moving it"???   Are you considering buying a new fire file if you don't keep this one???     Cost of a new fire resistive fire filing cabinet could be in the $1500 to $2000 range.   

Of course I'm not insinuating that your file is equivalent to a new unit, in fact your container was built prior to the early 1960's and doesn't meet ANY current standards for fire resistance.

While it is still probably good for "general purpose" storage of every day documents I would NOT recommend keeping ANYTHING of value in it.    So obviously it would depend on what you are planning on using it for, to determine whether or not it has "value or worth".    This container has NO burglary resistance regardless of the fact that it has a combination lock installed.   This doesn't make it a safe!

As far as it not having a key, any locksmith shop should be able to help you or make a key for it.    They may even be able to swap out the locking cylinder if it still has a current model lock available.   If not they would have to hand make a key for it.

Sorry, but I still can't answer your question concerning it's worth, I can only point out the cost of a replacement container which does meet current standards.

Hope this helps, if not we can discuss what you are actually looking for.

QUESTION: Thanks for your help.
Did you have an idea how much is the current value of it?

Answer
Hi Jose,

Old safes and especially fire resistive safes and file cabinets built OVER 50 years ago DO NOT meet ANY current standards and should not be used for overnight storage of any valuable documents, cash or jewelry.

That being said - if you are selling it or someone is buying it with the idea that it has or will provide fire resistance, the value is $0.

If you are selling it and/or someone is buying it with the UNDERSTANDING that it may NOT provide any fire resistance in a fire, due to its age and condition, then you may have some agreed upon value of between $0 to $200.

Basically if I was you, I would be happy if someone took it off my hands so I didn't have to worry about disposal fees to make it go away!    Any money you can get between that and $200 is gravy money.

Generally if someone calls us with a similar question and needs the safe disposed of, we charge then  between $300 to $400 to dispose of it.     Most states and local land fills will accept it as "non-compressible land fill" and charge around $200 to take it.
Scrap metal companies won't take it because it is made of THIN skin, sheet metal and thick insulation materials.

Hope that helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)