Antique Safes/Value of a Protectall Safe

Question
Hello Andy,
Happy to have found this sight. We have a Protectall Free standing
safe. 30inches high 2ft. deep. Fire classification C.
Has a dial on the front Whandle to release. we have the combination to open. We were told this safe has considerable value. We will be selling our home in a couple of years and would like to know it's true value. Thanks for your help

Answer
Hi Dee,

someone has been watching too many episodes of "Antique Roadshow"!!!

The Protectall line of safes was produced from the early 1930's until about 1941ish, when the line was acquired by the Mosler Safe Company.    In 1949 the factory was closed down and all manufacturing moved back to the main facility in Hamilton, Ohio.    All of the Protectall containers made after 1941 were Mosler products and NOT the original brand.    
Mosler continued to use the "logo" until the mid 1960's.

In general, these safes were designed for office or residential use for storing documents from heat - hence the fire classification "C", which was a basic "1 hour of fire resistance".   These safes have no burglary resistance and they do not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance.    While the 1930-1941 models are "slightly" collectible, the Mosler versions are basically considered OLD office furniture with little value.

I would be more than happy to take a look at your safe to see what you actually have and to try to narrow down when it was made.

While the container has little value, if you use it for "GENERAL" document storage, it should be fine to use.    NO CASH, Jewelry or valuable documents though!!!

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)