Antique Safes/Hall safe co double door safe

Question
The hall safe co
The hall safe co  
I have a functioning safe made by the Hall safe co. The handles are stamped 21130. I was wondering what the age of this safe is and wondered if I would be doing a disservice to tear out the tired inside and make this into a gun safe. Thank you for your time

Answer
Hi Patrick,

The Hall's Safe Company was in business from 1896 until about 1929.   Your safe would have been made during the early 1900's - possibly 1903-1907.   Sorry there are no documents with exact dates of manufacturer.

As far as your doing a "disservice" to the safe, this is kind of a double answer question.

"IF" you are planning on restoring and selling the then turning the interior into a gun safe MAY restrict your possible purchaser base.

"IF" you are planning on restoring and installing the gun safe interior for YOUR use, then by all means go for it.

The way I look at it, is that the manufacturer of the safe built and intended the safe to be USED by owners to secure their valuables.    Doing this serves that purpose and honors the intent of the makers and inventors.    They never intended their safes to be display items only.

That being said, Having a working antique safe for a display AND as a functional safe is also very good.

Now for the bad news - sorry but as my job is to provide security I have to point out that this safe does not meet ANY current standards for burglary or fire protection.    I don't recommend storing ANY guns or valuables in it that can't be easily replaced in the event of a fire or burglary.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to run them past me.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)