Antique Safes/Old Gary floor safe with keys

Question
Top safe
Top safe  

Inside
Inside  
I purchased an old Gary round floor safe at an estate sale, it has the top lid with key that opens. The problem is, it has a second lid inside with 2 key locks. It came with 1 key that will turn one lock, but it will not turn second lock. I will attach pictures. Does this type of safe have 2 separate keys for inside lid? It says Gary safe co Los Angeles 21 serial #17633 on top lid.

Answer
Hi Joshua,

The lock on the interior door is NOT two locks it is a single lock for "DUAL" custody purposes.   It does require two keys to unlock it, though sometimes if dual custody is not required the guard side can be disabled.

The two portions of the lock which protrude through the door are referred to as the "NOSE" of the lock.   The nose which is closest to the center of the door is for the "GUARD" or preparatory key.   This key and/or side of the lock PREPARES the lock so that the second key known as the "CUSTOMER" or operating key will unlock and retract the locking bolt.

The nomenclature comes from the fact that these locks are generally used in and designed for safe deposit boxes at banks.    The guard or bank custodian would insert and turn THEIR key, and then the CUSTOMER key would be inserted to actually unlock the lock to gain access.

This lock was adapted over, for use in other areas for similar security.   For instance your safe was designed for use in small markets or gas stations.   During the day excess money would be deposited through slot leading to the lower compartment.   Either a manager or guard service would arrive each day or once a week with their key so that the interior compartment could be accessed and the money taken to the bank.   This extra security was in place so that if the place was robbed, the maximum amount taken would be what was actually in the cash register.   The bulk of the money would be protected as the cashier would NOT have the keys to the inner safe.

In order to get it open, you need both sides of the lock unlocked - if you only have one of the keys then you will need a safe technician to open the other side of the lock.   While it might seem cheaper to try to open it yourself, manufacturers contemplated actions to open safes by burglars and added safe guards.   Many of these interior doors have one or two relocking pins.  If the safe and/or lock is attacked these pins will fire off securing the inner lid.    Kind of like having a little man on the inside welding it shut.

If your goal is to get the container operational and/or to see what is inside the safe, either take it to a local safe company (or have them come to you), to open it.    Check your local yellow pages under "safes & Vaults" for nearby companies.   If you don't have one let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps to explain the lock.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)