Antique Safes/Picking an antique Lock

Question
Hi Andy, I live in Media, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia that lies just south of the city. I own an antique Tantalus, which is a small, portable Liquor Cabinet that holds 2 Crystal Liquor Bottles. It Locks so only the person with a key can access the Liquor, hence the name " Tantalus ", derived from the same source as " Tantalize ". The Lock in this case is a specialized " Bramah Lock ", and the Key is gone. The only way to open this Cabinet is to Pick the Lock. As the Bramah Lock is unique, the local Locksmith who attempted to Pick it was unsuccessful. Do You know of any people in the Philadelphia who might be able to Pick this Lock? I need a local Houdini. The Tantalus weighs too much to send it out. Thanks, Andy. Best, Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,

Yes I'm familiar with this lock.   I've got a Mosler, Bahmann & Company safe from about 1885-90, in my showroom, that used this lock on the interior doors.    This lock was designed and patented in about 1784 and was so successful that it is STILL in production today in England.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in your area that may be able to pick the lock, however I would recommend that you contact:

Wilson Safe Company
3031 Island Ave,
Philadelphia, PA 19153
(215) 492-7100

to see if they have any recommendations in your area.

I would also recommend that you contact the factory service to see if they have any recommendations for you.    As this lock is NOT in popular use in the US, finding a trained locksmith or safe tech may not be an available option.

Bramah Locks
http://www.bramah.co.uk/default.asp?lnc=home2

Service and Support
For 24/7 Locksmith Services
T 020 7637 8500 Option 2
F 020 7636 5598
locksmiths@bramah.co.uk

I hope this helps you out, if these two references can't help you out or point you in the right direction then your options may be very limited.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)