Antique Safes/Safe

Hello. We kind of inherited this safe. I like it, it's got a very retro feel. It weighs a ton! I'm curious what you could tell me about it. It has a few shelves/drawers missing, but I think u could have replacements made. I appreciate your time and effort to help us.

Penny, glad to hear that you you like that old safe.  It was designed for fire protection and some burglary protection.  My belief concerning the protection, both of fire and burglary, of older safes like yours is contrary to popular opinion.  And popular opinion is that safes over 50 years old are pretty much good for nothing. Granted your safe will not likely hold up in a really violent and determined attack, then again it just might.  It always depends on who, on the equipment used and time.  And I would put its fire protection as greater than most guns safes being sold today. Cary built a quality product and even given the age of your safe, which is around 100 years, it still is a very usable safe.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place