Antique Safes/Safe

Question
Front
Front  

Bottom
Bottom  
Hello. We kind of inherited this safe. I like it, it's got a very retro feel. It weighs a ton! I'm curious what you could tell me about it. It has a few shelves/drawers missing, but I think u could have replacements made. I appreciate your time and effort to help us.
Best.
Penny

Answer
Penny, glad to hear that you you like that old safe.  It was designed for fire protection and some burglary protection.  My belief concerning the protection, both of fire and burglary, of older safes like yours is contrary to popular opinion.  And popular opinion is that safes over 50 years old are pretty much good for nothing. Granted your safe will not likely hold up in a really violent and determined attack, then again it just might.  It always depends on who, on the equipment used and time.  And I would put its fire protection as greater than most guns safes being sold today. Cary built a quality product and even given the age of your safe, which is around 100 years, it still is a very usable safe.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen