Antique Safes/SLS Key Locking Safe

I have recently acquired an SLS Safe.

I have absolutely no idea of its worth and wondered if you may be able to shed some light being an expert in this field.

Please would you either call me on 07939939676 or email me. I expect you'll need further information so if you let me know what you'll need I'll be able to provide it. I have the key and its in perfect working order.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Hello David,

Thank you for your enquiry.  SLS (Security Lock & Safe) made very good safes from low security to very high security.  However, many of their models were identical from the outside so it is essential to find the serial number in order to identify the model, understand the resistance level and estimate a resale value.

The serial numbers of SLS safes were always stamped on the end of the moving bolts.  Usually three bolts were stamped.  The top bolt indicated the date of manufacture.  The middle bolt identified the model and size.  The lower bolt identified the engineer that signed it off at the factory.

If you could locate these numbers and send them to me, I will be able to advise you further.  A picture of the safe would also be useful.

If it is more convenient, you can email me directly at the address shown below.

Mike Palmer FSyI

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others