Antique Safes/Victor round screw door safe

Question
Victor safe
Victor safe  

Victor safe
Victor safe  
Hi Terry. I have a Victor safe that has a round screw door on the front of it like the old cannonball safes do. It has surface rust without any major pitting. It has lost about 85 to 90% of the paint also. It came out of a local bank near my town. It has a three dial like timer on the inside of the screw door that is made by Yale. It has the patent dates of the late 1890s on the timer. The safe has all the finials on the door hinges, the handle that unscrews the round door and also the steal shelf that goes inside the safe. it weighs at around 1 ton. I have never seen a Victor safe like this one before. I know that Mosler made a similar safe like this at one time though. I was wondering if you could tell me if this safe is rare and how much it might be worth. I can also send more photos to your email I have taken plenty of them. Thanks, Brian

Answer
Hi Brian,

Very cool safe.

While there weren't thousands of these safes made there are still enough around that they aren't "rare".    However collectors don't generally offer these beasts up for sale, so that makes the once that are for sale VERY scarce.

Several companies made the square body designs and they were only made from the 1890's thorough the late 1920's.

As for value, it's all about condition, condition, condition.    I would need to see many more photos of the safe to evaluate or appraise it for you, however two problems that immediately are apparent are going to be the rust issues and the weight.

Most collectors aren't going to want to deal with the weight issues including shipping and freight, which limits the potential number of buyers down to about the same number of safes that are for sale - meaning they are scarce!

Once the safe has been restored and you can show it off a bit, the number of potential buyers will increase dramatically.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)