Anxiety Disorders/Fear of Paralysis1

ear Dr. Reed,
I am 45 years male with mitral valve prolapse since 5 years & suffering from severe health anxiety since 10 years. I have been living with different fears from time to time related to health, especially heart. I have been to so many cardiologist & neurologist to get assurance from different fears. I did my cardio test also.I walk daily for 40 minutes & eat health food. I know all anxiety symptoms & was living with anxiety. My problem is My symptoms comes without any anxiety, provoke or fear. I feel my nerve making pressure/vibrating on chest,left face & jaw, head, leg & elbow. until now i have been facing without fear. sometimes i feel something on my left face, Now i started fearing that i will get paralysis. this fear is making me severe anxiety & i am obsessing about it.
i know anxiety & panic is causing numbness, tingling feelings in leg, hand face etc. but still i am not able to convince myself i am obsessing it is paralysis.
i am afraid to google about paralysis and need some help about paralysis, so i can fight with this symptoms. i need to know that, i want to know how paralysis is caused it should be some serious disease or stroke. plz help me so i can convince my mind that this is all anxiety and not the symptoms of paralysis. I went to neruologist, they started me on cipralex and told me this is all anxiety related. i want to tell my mind through cognitive therapy that this is anxiety symptoms & for paralysis you have to have so & so problems, then only it will come.
i will be grateful to you & god bless u.
Thanks & regards.

Hello Afzal,

This must be very difficult for you. The fear that you are experiencing may be explained by he fact that you could be hypoglycemic ( This is a pre-diabetic condition.  People with hypoglycemia over-produce stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, that gives you the feelings of fears and anxiety for no logical reason whatsoever. It has to do with the production of energy (biological energy) that is necessary to produce feel-good neurotransmitter.
The brains of hypoglycemic people are starved of energy - a dangerous condition -  and so the brain sends a message to the adrenal gland to pour adrenaline into the system. Adrenaline function to convert energy stores in the body (glycogen) into glucose (energy) so as to feed the brain with energy again. But adrenaline also function to give you  paralyzing fear and focussing hormone responsible for the unreasonable feelings of anxiety.
The non-drug treatment for hypoglycemia is going on a hypoglycemic diet ( .

You will find that if you go on a hypoglycemic diet (high in protein and low in refined carbohydrates) these anxious feeling will disappear.

Please discuss this with you doctor if you want to.

I hope his will solve the problem.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)