Anxiety Disorders/Anxiety chest and muscle pain

I have had anxiety on and off for 13 years and my newest symptom is a stabbing pain under my left breast (I'm 31 no history or family history of heart disease) and pains into my left arm that settle around my elbow. If I push on my chest and breast I can find the spots that hurt. After seeing my dr and learning my intercostal and pectoral muscles are extremely tight she said to take aleve to help but it does nothing. The pain comes and goes through out the day and some days not at all? I guess my question is why does anxiety make these muscles so tight and what can I do to relax them? Also how do I get through to my anxiety brain and convince it that this has been going on for a week, obviously it's not a heart attack?! When my anxiety kicks in it makes weird almost butterfly feeling in my chest when I breath in or my arm will "feel" cold which just makes everything worse! Any advice or techniques would be greatly appreciated. And no I'm not on any medication I have tried it and it's definitely not for this girl! I also do see a counsellor when emotionally I can no longer deal with my anxiety :)

Hi Kindra,
Anxiety attacks can have all sorts of weird symptoms. Read:

Anxiety and The Autonomic Nervous System

It is question of treating anxiety attacks and symptoms should disappear:

Beating Anxiety and Phobia  
Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)