Anxiety Disorders/Insomnia

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

I am 30, female, mother of one.

For some days I am not being able to sleep at night. However, if I try, I can sleep in the afternoon. I get a good sleep. Normally in the afternoons I feel sleepy.

I tried avoiding sleeping in the afternoon so that I can save some sleep for the night. But that did not work. I am just not being able to sleep at night till 4 to 5 o'clock in the morning.

I went to the doctor got some tests, everything appears to be in place. They prescribed anti-depressants. I took the medicine at bedtime, it works. But the 10 days course is over now, and I am sleepless again.

Can this problem be psychological? I am looking for a permanent solution to this problem.

HI Elizabeth,
The problem may be due to hypoglycemia (, that can cause you to overproduce stress hormones quite unrelated to what may be going on in the environment. This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet ( You can test yourself at home for hypoglycemia by

Testing for Hypoglycemia by Questionnaires
  Nutrition-Behavior Inventory (NBI)

Hypoglycemic Questionnaire (short test)
If you score high it may be an indication that you could be hypoglycemic. This is a silent disease that is responsible for excess production of stress hormones - like adrenaline and cortisol - and which may trigger depression, anxiety, insomnia or a low self-esteem.
Also read: Biochemistry of Insomnia

Please discuss with your doctor.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)