Anxiety Disorders/Intrusive thoughts and the guilt aftermath

QUESTION: I would say I have mild anxiety but about a month ago I had my first "intrusive thought" about someone I love.

The thoughts are gone. I am very good at moving on and relaxing, but guilt remains. This person is the most important person in my life and I have a fear that I can never look at them the same. I am not practicing avoidance behaviors with this person, but I really want to be able to think about this person and smile from ear to ear like I used to and not think of this person and then quickly stop because I'm afraid the image in my head is going to get corrupted by my anxiety.

ANSWER: Hi Jocelyn,

It is not clear from your post whether this refers to a rejection of love, if this is so, then I suggest that you read:

Romantic Rejection: Trigger for Depression

It may be due to a low esteem, that make it difficult to recover from a rejection of love.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

QUESTION: No sorry. I hate being detailed because it embarrasses me, but it was an intrusive thought about my baby sister. She is the only thing that brings me so much joy in this world and my anxiety attached to her in someway. And now, when I think of her to smile, I feel uncomfortable because I fear that the thought might become warped by an intrusive thought.

It's hard to talk about. I know enough about anxiety to know that I am not a freak and that it's very common for people with GAD or OCD to develop intrusive thoughts that are ego-dystonic, and so I know for sure that these thougths don't represent a secret desire to do harm, but they make me feel bad and interfere with my ability to be fully present and enjoy her and babysit her and be there for you. I do not avoid her and i have not stopped babysitting her, and she still brings me joy, but sometimes when I look into her sweet face I cry and feel guilty that my mind could ever create something so horrible about her.

I would like to get past this guilt and worry. And just enjoy her fully like I used to before the intrusive thought happened a year ago.

Again, the thought isn't coming back, but there is a memory of it, guilt, shame, and a fear of our relationship never being the same and being forever tainted by my illness.

Hi, The intrusive thoughts are just the result of excess stress hormones -  fight/flight hormones - that have a tendency to make you focus on things completely out of you control.  These stress hormones are most likely due to an inner metabolic imbalance  caused by hypoglycemia (, that can  be treated by simply adopting the Hypoglycemic Diet

Related articles worthwhile reading are:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Nutrition

Anxiety and The Autonomic Nervous System

Beating Anxiety and Phobia

I hope i have been of some help. If any more problems don't hesitate contacting me.

Hon. Editor of
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)