Anxiety Disorders/why am I doing this?

I'm 34 and female.

Whenever I get too full I purge a little food to make my stomach feel better.  I do not binge and purge, I only purge to ease the discomfort in my stomach when I mistakenly eat too much (usually by not paying attention to how much I'm eating at a restaurant because I am talking to others while I eat).  I am careful to only purge a little so as not to become hungry again (do not do it for weight loss or anything).

I do it maybe about once every 6 months or sometimes once every 2 years or so.  

Currently I am reuniting with my estranged husband, so I am packing and cleaning my apartment I have been renting while we have been apart.  

For some reason I am craving sweets (I usually don't) and I cannot seem to control how much I am eating!  This is very scary!  I cannot stop doing this. Today I ate 3 ice cream cones in a row. I have been doing this for 2 or 3 days now, and purging... only to go back for more!

WHY all of the sudden am I doing this?  How can I stop?  I have never binged before what is making me do this?  I have certainly been in FAR more stressful circumstances and have never lost control like I have right now.  I'm rinsing my mouth with a baking soda solution because I am aware of the damage that can be done to my teeth :(

I am so confused.

Hi anonymous,  You are most likely to purge yourself for fear of becoming overweight, under the false impression that you can loose weight by eating less. People gain weight for eating the wrong food, not for eating too much. The most damaging food we may be eating is sugar-laden food. If you feel you addicted to sweet food it is most likely that you are hypoglycemic (  Please read the following articles:

Eating Disorders: Anorexia and Bulimia

Sugar Craving: A Disease of Energy Production

To stop te sugar craving you can take glycerine as explained at:

What is Hypoglycemia?

Hypoglycemic Diet

Hypoglycemia will also affect your self-image, which inevitably affects your love life and intimate relateionships.

I therefore suggest that you should also study:

Psychotherapy Course (Nine Weeks)

I hope I have been of some help.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)