Anxiety Disorders/panic

I am a 70 year old female. I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder many years ago.  I have had anxiety attacks all my life, off and on.  The problem worsens with age. I often have IBS-D with spasms, usually after eating out.I have learned to handle this with Immodium, tranquilizers, heating pad, etc.

In recent years, I have experienced gasping for breath awake and asleep. I cannot get any air for about a minute.Something blocks up my throat and nasal passages.  I feel like I am going to die.  Suddenly, the air returns and I can breathe normally again.  I am very frightened.  THIS IS MY QUESTION:  Can I expect that the air will always return?  

I do worry a lot, have extreme fears and negative thoughts.  I try to help myself with meditation tapes.  I would like to be able to enjoy my last years on this planet without all this. Can you help me?

Hi Larraine,

Your problems might be due to the fact that your body is overproducing stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) due to hypoglycemia ( So the first step in treatment is going on a hypoglycemia diet ( There may be other problems such as possible allergies and food sensitivities.

As an immediate remedy I suggest you take glycerine at the rate of one tablespoon in a glass of water with a d ash of lemonade to improve taste. See:

Also read:
Beating Anxiety and Phobia  

If problems continue I suggest you see a Nutritional Doctor for further assessment.

Please let me know how you are getting along?

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)