Anxiety Disorders/Phagophobia and Diet

What should we be looking for when choosing a nutritionalist for people with panic/attacks, phobias, anxiety? What questions should we be asking them? I'm in NYC with a daughter that has phagophobia and cannot find a Nutritional Psychotherapist. All I see are nutritionalist RD and I don't know what questions to ask them to see if they can help my daughter.

Dear Elizabeth,

It is a pity you did not mention how old your daughter is. If she is a reader she could read herself out of these emotional disorders.  As to the right nutritional psychotherapist, you could google for nutritional doctors in New York. Also google ACNEM.  it is best to first get into contact with a nutritionalist, please see:

Looking for Complementary Health Practitioners at

I suggest you read:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Nutrition

I hope I have been able to help

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)