Anxiety Disorders/Anxiety and cold hands

I have had a generalized anxiety disorder for most of my life. I'm a 39 year old female. I particularly worry about health concerns. Recently I have been quite worried.

I have noticed that my finger tips and toes are quite often cold. And are very sensitive to cold. Is this a symptom of anxiety?

Thank you, Jami from Canada.

Dear Jami,

Anxiety can express itself in many form. The most common source of anxiety is pre-diabetic insulin resistance, where the body lacks the biological energy (ATP) to manufacture feel-good neurotransmitters from its precursors in food. I suggest you read:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias

Hypochondria and Hypoglycemia

The adoption of the hypoglycemic diet (  is the first step in treatment.

Please discuss his with your doctor if you wish to do so.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:  

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)