Anxiety Disorders/Anxiety? PTSD?

I feel like I have an anxiety disorder but don't want to "self diagnose" myself. It is almost impossible for me to talk to anyone or go out in fear of being judged, saying the wrong things, not being accepted, or coming off weird. When put in a situation where I have to talk to someone my heart races and I feel like I can't breathe and am close to tears. I have always been that way.

Secondly, something happened to my mother a while back (5 years ago)and I am constantly thinking about it up until the point I'm shaking and crying. My stepdad at the time hurt her and I have visions of the scene unwanted constantly at the randomest of times. I just cannot stop thinking about that day. I also have nightmares every day of him hurting my little brother in the most terrible ways and me being right there and no matter how much I scream or try to help I CAN'T. I wake up,again, shaking and crying. Do you know what these dreams could mean? Can anxiety cause you to have terrible dreams?

Is there anywhere I could go where they could tell me for sure if I have anxiety or post traumatic stress disorder?

Hi Gabrielle,

I can see you are going through a difficult time, and that you suffering from anxiety. This is due to the overproduction of stress hormones due to maybe hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please read:
Beating Anxiety and Phobias    and  

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Hypoglycemia

You need to first deal with the physical aspect of anxiety and later on when you start tom feel a little better deal with the psychological aspect.  This can all be done if you understand the nutritional aspect of mood disorder and read the self-help psychotherapy course as explained at:
Psychotherapy Course

If you have any problems please come back or discuss this within nutritional doctor or counsellor.

I hope I have been helpful to you.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:
All my articles can be found at:

Anxiety Disorders

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)