Arab Culture/Question: Family Issues

I have been dating my Lebanese boyfriend for about 5 months now.  It took a lot of getting used to each other and we separated quite a few times.  Now I am head over heels in love with him.  He is the greatest man that I have ever dated.  We are even discussing marriage now.  My issue is that we are so different.  I grew up in North Carolina on a farm with everything I ever wanted and he grew up worrying about war and things of that sort. He really took it upon himself to make something out of his life and I have so much respect for him.  My mother and my brother like him a lot and he treats me like a queen.  My question is that I want to be a good fiancee/wife to him and I would like to know what Lebanese men like from their women.  He has changed a lot for me and it is time for me to do some changing for him. I want to be able to make sure he feels at home here with me.  Thank you so much for your help!

Jennifer, thanks for your question. The best thing you can do as an American woman dating/marrying a Lebanese man is respect him. Always show respect especially out in public. If you disagree with what he is saying, even if he is 100% wrong never embarrass him by pointing out his error in public. I was born and raised in Beirut, (Christian) and have been married to my American bridge for almost 33 years. That is another important question, religion.  A Christian/Muslim marriage will be disapproved of by both sides. If he treats you like a queen that I would suggest you treat him like a king. Love and affection are always appreciated regardless of cultural differences. A warm, loving, and safe home is what all people of the world, regardless of culture are looking for. As the wife you are the one who really sets the environment at home. Be sure he feels all of the above. Good luck
Semper Fidelis,

Arab Culture

David Rababy

Questions regarding political, military and cultural issues in the Middle East

•27+ years of experience in intelligence analysis •Coordinated the management, analysis, processing, and dissemination of strategic, operational and tactical intelligence •Conducted research & analysis of counterterrorism, and foreign military forces, operations, capabilities and trends in support of threat production •Analyzed information to assess developments, trends, and threat implications within geographical and functional areas •Compiled, collated, analyzed, produced and evaluated all-source intelligence •Subject Matter Expert on Middle East affairs (native of Lebanon)

Disabled American Veterans (DAV) National Veteran-Owned Business Association Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) The American Legion The Marine Corps League The Association of Service Disabled Veterans (ASDV) Fredericksburg Small Business Association (FSBA)

Rababy, D.A., Marine Corps Intelligence, Officer Training of the Future, U.S. Army Military Intelligence magazine, May 1995 Rababy, D.A., Intelligence Support During a Humanitarian Mission, Marine Corps Gazette, February 1995 Rababy, D.A., Intelligence Support in Operations Other Than War, Small Wars Journal, October, 2005 Rababy, D.A., Cultural Intelligence Training for Military Operations, Ongoing

American Military University, Master of Arts, Political Science University of Michigan-Flint, Bachelor of Arts, History Armed Forces Staff College (JPME II) Intelligence Collection Managers Course USMC Command & Staff College Anti-terrorism Instructor Course Instructor and Curriculum Developers Course

Bronze Star Medal Joint Meritorious Service Medal Meritorious Service Medal (Third Award) Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (Third Award) Combat Action Ribbon (Second Award) Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Southwest Asia Service Medal Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait and Saudi Arabia) Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Instructor of the Year (1996)

Jane's Information Group Klein Associates (ARA) Robotic Research