Arab Culture/Eid

QUESTION: Hello friend!  I teach English in the US to many Muslim students.  The school at which I teach does not allow Muslims a holiday on Eid al-Adha (tomorrow).  Since my students are required to be in class during Eid, I really would like to make it a special day for them.  However, I have no idea what activities to do to celebrate it with them.  I have read that Eid al-Adha is a time to give gifts, but I do not know what type of gifts to bring for them.    

My question is this:  Are there any activities that you can think of that would allow my students to celebrate Eid and make tomorrow special for them?  
If I brought gifts, what type of gifts or what kinds of food are typical during Eid?
Thank you, dear friend!!

ANSWER: Dear Abbey,

Well ,Muslims don't all celebrate exactly the same way. I can tell you more about Arab Muslims in the middle east for example.

Eid celebration includes dawn prayer, exchanging gifts is not such a big part unless we are talking about children. Children usually expect new clothes and a monetary token we call Eidiya ( it can be as much as you want not too little and not too much, cos they usually get many Eidiyas) which is usually given by a parent or a grandparent or both. Usually most elderly people in a family will give out Eidiya to children (Grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts etc...  People also visit each other at home (quick visits) and have Eid sweets which are types that look and taste like biscuits they are usually made out of flour and stuffed with dates, pistacios or covered with sesame. But anything sweet will do as a token even chocolates. So family and friends' gatherings are a big part of Eid. Other than that children are usually taken out somewhere where they can play where there are swings or to an amusement park.

Of course, many people will do the sacrifice ( assimilating Abraham's story with his son Ismail) so they'll have a sheep slaughtered and the meat is usually cut out in equal portions and sent out immediately (fresh) to friends, family members and mostly to needy people who can't afford to celebrate which is the spirit of the Eid - that everyone can have something new and/or something for free as a gift to celebrate.

Other than that, people celebrate by going out and spending the day in a park or at a restaurant (this is individual depends on what people prefer).

I hope this was helpful.

Hope you and your students have a great Eid.

QUESTION: Hello dear Sirine,
Something strange happened with my computer and I am not sure you received my thank you note.  Thank you so much for helping me with my class today in teaching about this very special holiday for Muslims.  I am going to review the holiday per your instruction and also assimilate the history and meaning into my lesson.  Thank you so much for helping me!  I really appreciate you!

Hello again Abbey,

I did get the first one thanks for the good rating and nomination I am glad I could be of help.

I am happy to help a teacher that cares so much for their student. I was a teacher once and I value a dedicated teacher.

All the best in career and life.

Arab Culture

Sirine Malas

I can answer almost any question pertaining to Arabic culture. Especially middle eastern / Levant cultures. You can ask about language, dialect, customs, foods etc...

National of that area

Local Newspapers, Internet website like BBC Arabic, Arabic Short Story website

B.A. in Marketing