Arbitration/Mediation/Interview Questions

Question
I have to complete an assignment for my college English class, and it requires me to interview someone who works in a career that I may pursue. If it's not too much to ask, could you answer the following questions?

1) What was your major before entering law school?
2) What types of writing is required in your career?
3) Do you have any advice for one who wants to become an attorney?
4) What are the most important skills for attorney to possess?
5) Do you think one needs good writing skills to become a successful lawyer? If so, why is it important?

Thank you in advance,
Shellie

Answer
I would be happy to answer your questions.

1)  I was a general studies major with 20 units in psychology, economics and political science.  I was originally a biochemistry major but switched over my second or third year.

2)  Writing is integral to the practice of law.  We learned to write concisely and without legal ease in law school.

3)  Think twice before becoming a lawyer.  In litigation, there is a great deal of disagreement and conflict.  I would have an undergraduate degree in anything you have a passion to do because your major does not matter when applying for law school.

4)  The most important skill for an attorney to have is the ability to understand that law is about justice and should be a win-win for both parties.  Attorneys should realize that it is a job and to not take each case as a personal mission to destroy the other party.  Another skill is the ability to relate to your clients, other parties and ultimately to a jury if you are a trial attorney.

5)  It is important to have good writing skills if you are going to be preparing your own pleadings.  Not all attorneys are good writers and the gravitate to other areas.  You have to convince a judge to rule a certain way and writing skills are imperative to assist your client.  Some attorneys recognize they are not proficient writers and they work with other attorneys to handle the written work.

I hope this was helpful.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Arbitration/Mediation

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.