Arbitration/Mediation/Subpoena

Question
I've been issued a subpoena by a client of the company that I used to work for. The client is suing the owner of that company and has subpoenaed me to testify. I've spoken with the clients attorney and they've instructed me that if they need me they will call and I do not need to be at the court house unless they call. (Phone stand-by).

I've also been contacted by the opposing lawyer and he seems to think that what I have to say would benefit them. So, he's asking me to show up at the court house and testify on his behalf. My question is, without a subpoena from this opposing lawyer am I obligated to go to the court house unless I'm instructed to do so by the lawyer that issued the subpoena to me? This lawyer is making it seem that since I've been subpoenaed in the trial that either party can call me to witness and I must obey.

Thanks in advanced and sorry if I've placed this in the wrong category, I wasn't sure where I should ask it.

Answer
Brandon,

The technical answer is yes.  Each side is aware of the other side's subpoenas so that they are not duplicated.  If you have any hesitancy, contact the company's attorney and ask for them to also subpoena you.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Arbitration/Mediation

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.