Arbitration/Mediation/Child Support


I live in Illinois. About 5 years ago I was taken to court for child support. I had previously been paying cash every week to my sons mother for a number of years, but never kept documentation. The court put a judgment on me for $15,000, as my child's mother said I never paid the entire time. The interest on that large of an amount is more than my monthly payment, and the balance keeps on increasing, even though the money come directly out of my check and goes to her. The recently suspended my drivers license because of the outstanding balance. Is there anything I can do? Also, is it possibly for his mother to go to court and tell the judge to somehow "write-off" the balance if we make a new agreement in private between just us two, if I could get her to agree on an arrangement?

Greetings, Sorry for the delay, but I am traveling.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with the operations of State agencies in child support enforcement cases, nor can I comment on how available such agencies are to mediation.  I would surmise that there are protocols for advocacy on behalf of supporting parents.  Hopefully another expert is able to address your question, good luck!


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Timmy Chou


I am a experienced Mediator and a partner in a management consulting firm. As a mediator I work as a third-party neutral and specialize in partnership/shareholder disputes, management/labor issues, company culture difficulties, and family-owned business problems. I can help describe why alternative dispute resolution may be a good choice for you. As an experienced management consultant I may be able to offer creative ideas to help resolve your organizational and business problems and disputes. "If you say conflict, I say opportunity".

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]