Archaeology/STONE TOOL?NETSINKER?

Question
netsinker
netsinker  

netsinker
netsinker  
I am an art teacher in central New York, A third grade student of mine found this stone in a creek bed near Holland Patent,ny. We have searched as to it's identity but definitely need the opinion of an expert. It looks tooled,it is definitely one rock, not 2 cemented together. The only thing I have found that is similiar is a netsinker?Could you please help us identify this stone?

Answer
Hi Mark,

Stones like this are "close to natural" and are often used for different uses by Native Americans.  This could have been used at a net sinker, a birding net or perhaps even a bolo of sorts.  It does look used so it may have been used for any of these purposes.  Exactly which is nearly impossible to determine.  Good Find.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier