Archaeology/Stone Flint Knapped Tool

Question
Side One
Side One  

Side Two
Side Two  
Ralph,
I have a stone tool that looks like a spearhead that I believe to be a flint knapped knife of some sort.  I found it in 1995 at the bottom of Jackson Creek near Devil's Head outside of Sadalia, CO.  It is amber colored and is transparent in the light, with little rocks and a red leaf looking thing in it.  I have attached several photos to this post.  Since i found it, I have always wondered what it was or whom might have used it.  A a 4th generation Coloradan, I would love to know what peoples might have used this amazing stone here in the place I call home.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Matt

What you have is a Calcedony preform. This would have been in the tool kit of a native American hunter.  He would have used it as a utility tool, knife, scraper etc and in the event of the loss of an arrow or spear point, could have been knapped it  into a new point.  The stone, Calcedony, is a commonly used material in the region where you found it.  It was a highly prized material and was often traded to other areas for shell from the gulf coast and copper from Michigan.

It a fossil material so there can be inclusions of small marine shells and snails but not often.

It is a very nice artifact.  Age is in determinant however since the material and shape are not indicative of age.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier