Archaeology/Creek finds after flood of 2011 in Western Ky.

side 1
side 1  

side 2
side 2  
Hi Ralph. I have found many interesting stones/rocks beginning immediately after the major flood that hit our area in the spring of 2011. Most of them are from one specific creek in West Paducah/Kevil Kentucky, although there are a few that I found on a lake in Brookport Il. I have many that I am curious about, way too many to send the pics of, even though I have photographed most of them. I would appreciate your opinion on the few pics attached. thanks, Lori

Hi Lori,

This may be a net weight or something similar if one of the holes goes all the way through.  In that part of Kentucky there is a lot of lime stone and I believe that is what this is.  This was commonly used by the Native Americans just for this purpose.  

Ralph Salier

Archaeologist for the last 30 years. Norh American generalist and Hopwell culture/Red Ocher culture specifically. Lithics Expert and Ground Stone tools.

Past/Present clients
Numerous museums in US and Canada. Several University Anthropology Departments.