Archaeology/early man decorate tools

Question
i live on a site that has just recently been sent to TARL, i have found many known artifacts,points,blades,hammer and nutting stones,etc..but i have found faces carved into some rocks and tools. i understand natural images, but what is the probability of multiple faces next to artifacts in a camp? thanks doug

Answer
Hi Doug,

With out photos, it is very hard for me to make any kind of determination.   The Native Americans did carve effegies into different materials like pipes and drum handles etc... however this would be a very rare thing indeed in a chipped stone artifact.  I only know of some obsidian chipped stone implements that were more artistic endevors then useful tools.

Send me pics: rsalier@hotmail.com   put artifact pics in the subject line.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier