Archaeology/early man decorate tools

i live on a site that has just recently been sent to TARL, i have found many known artifacts,points,blades,hammer and nutting stones,etc..but i have found faces carved into some rocks and tools. i understand natural images, but what is the probability of multiple faces next to artifacts in a camp? thanks doug

Hi Doug,

With out photos, it is very hard for me to make any kind of determination.   The Native Americans did carve effegies into different materials like pipes and drum handles etc... however this would be a very rare thing indeed in a chipped stone artifact.  I only know of some obsidian chipped stone implements that were more artistic endevors then useful tools.

Send me pics:   put artifact pics in the subject line.

Ralph Salier

Archaeologist for the last 30 years. Norh American generalist and Hopwell culture/Red Ocher culture specifically. Lithics Expert and Ground Stone tools.

Past/Present clients
Numerous museums in US and Canada. Several University Anthropology Departments.