Archaeology/'First" nations?

Do you think there is enough evidence to prove or disprove the theory that the Americas may have been populated before the influx of people from Asia? With such a big land mass, is not not possible if not probable that people, either indigenous or not, were here before the supposed 'Bering strait immigration?

Hi Bud,

The simple answer is no.  Given what I do know, I don't think man was in the "new world" until about 30,000 years ago.  There is evidence for about 25,000 years ago.  Had people been here prior to this, I think the population would have been much larger.   I do believe that human populations came from two directions.  From the east along the edge of the ice and from the west along the coast and via the land bridge.  I believe this migration was relative constant until the land bridge closed.  And from the east as the ice subsided making the passage difficult until the Vikings and other seafarers came along.

Ralph Salier

Archaeologist for the last 30 years. Norh American generalist and Hopwell culture/Red Ocher culture specifically. Lithics Expert and Ground Stone tools.

Past/Present clients
Numerous museums in US and Canada. Several University Anthropology Departments.