Archaeology/stone point idenfification

Question
arrows
arrows  
I found these on the shore of Lake Ontario, New York State, several years ago, and wondered if you could identify their origins and perhaps date them. Each is approximately two inches long. Thank you very much, regards, Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,  

Unfortunately you worked stone tools do not have the clearly identifying features found on finished arrow points.  The pointy one is what's called a halfted knife not unlike a pen knife you am carry around.  This was made out of arrow point that got broken in use our perhaps during its manufacture. I can tell this because the one edge is relatively straight to the long axis of the blade and it has fine serrations along that edge.  

The other is called a preform.  Our Native Americans would find a large cobble or stone of good arrow point quality and make a number of performs from it instead of lugging it around.  Then as needed they could finish them into what ever was needed like a knife, scrapper or point.  It was not uncommon for these to be used for many purposes.  First as a skinning knife, then sharpened into a scraper and finally into an arrow or even a spear point.  And then if it broke in use, it would then be turned into a dart point.  Most tools had many uses.

Based on the preform I can tell you the it more than two thousand years old but not the culture that made it.  It was made during the very late Archaic period or very early Woodlands period.  This would well predate the Iraquois Nation.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier