Archaeology/Palaeo era

Question
I have been arguing  with a friend. He is a proponent of the out of africa theory, and I am a proponent of the multiregional hypothesis. Not that that is what we were arguing about at the time. My opponentīs contention was that we are all adapted to warm, (African) climes so that we could not possibly have lived in cold climates without either wearing furs or evolving so as to produce fur on our skins. I pointed out that several peoples, such as the Neanderthals and the Inuit developed/evolved  various different physical characteristics in order to better handle their cold climates, without ever needing to evolve fur or wear fur. I mean, I know there are all those Hollywood depictions in movies showing cavewomen with furs covering their breasts and private parts but that presumably only happens in films because it is illegal to show the women being  stark-naked, outside porn movies. Plus, I got the impression that things like clothes, weaving etc. only got started in the Neolithic era.Any help you can provide on this fur question would be welcome.Thanks,
Geoff.

Answer
Hi Geoff,

Hate to tell you this but we humans have been making clothing for a very long time.  Including fur clothing.  And yes while in warm climes it may have been minimal in nature, clothing is still worn by many peoples of warm climates.  Clothing is our adaptation and what has allowed us to populate the world.

To add to my original comment, please remember that 170,000  is a very long time ago and very few remains exist from this time frame.  But I believe, as an archaeologist, that they would have clothing if the need existed.  We just have not been fortunate to find any in any of the sites .  Clothing and leather do not preserve well unless under extraordinary circumstances.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier