Archaeology/stone?

Question
Rock
Rock  

Rock
Rock  
Hi Ralph...I found this item on our farm in a creek that runs along and feeds into the Meramec River in Washington Co. (Missouri).  Please let me know your thoughts on what it may have been used for or if it's just a rock.  The other 'rock' (in the first picture) was given to me by my father years ago and I've always thought it was interesting but have never asked anyone about what it may have been used for if anything.  Thanks!

Answer
HI Jim.  The first smaller stone looks interesting but with out closer examination appears to be an interesting stone rather then an artifact.  The second larger one is a flint or chert core.  This was the stone that was used to make large flakes of material that were then used as knives, turned into arrow heads and scrapers etc... Then when "used up" simply tossed away.  The material looks like it is from a quary in western MO called banded chert.  This comes from chalk beds in the bluffs along the rivers.

Cores are sometings used as a tool themselves for rubbing sinue or other materials in making "rope"  However, this one does not appear to have the ware pattern associated with these processes.

Ralph

Archaeology

Ralph Salier