Archaeology/Is this anything special?

Question
Stone Tool?
Stone Tool?  
Stone Tool?
Stone Tool?  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

I found this rock in a shallow stream in Tennessee southwest of Nashville. It appears to be a stone tool. It "feels" like a tool when you hold it in your hand. It has a remarkably straight edge and comfortable "handle" part. But it's not very sharp.

Can you tell me anything about it?

Thanks.

Dan

ANSWER: Hi Dan,  

It does appear to be worked, and the right kind of material.  Would you kindly take some additional pics?  1) edge on, 2) the other side 3) looking down on the edge when propped on the "base".

Once I get these I can tell you more about your find.

Stone Tool 3
Stone Tool 3  

stone Tool 4
stone Tool 4  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

I uploaded two different image the first time, but I think I may have messed up by naming them the same. Oops.

It does only allow two images at a time. I'll see if it let's me follow up again and add more. If it doesn't I will have to wait for your replay and then add them.

Thanks.

Dan

Answer
Hi Dan,  

This is a classic chopper, like a hand axe.  Probably used to chop up meat .  It is dull from living in a stream for a long time.  It is bifacially worked and has been heavily used and resharpened.  It may also have been used to work wood or chop kindling.

Nice tool.  take good care of it.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier