Archaeology/Carbon Dating

Question
Ralph,

I have some questions about Carbon Dating. My questions are inline:-

First of all, I would like to know that is there such a thing as a Median Date when it comes to calibrating the date range?

Secondly, I would like to know that are the later dates more reliable for paleography analysis?

Thirdly, I want to know that what is the importance of 1 Sigma and 2 Sigma variances in carbon dating? Is it possible to calibrate our dates without them?

Thanks!!

Answer
Hi Den,

1). A median date is based on several dates from a given feature.  This is because trees being long lived may have a very broad date range as would its charcoal.  In such cases it is the most recent date that is preferred but a median is provided as the older potential date.

2). An older date could be used but a midian date may make more sense.

3).  Since carbon 14 in the atmosphere varies year over year the calibration can be a bit fuzzy the older the sample.  Thus understanding the full scope of the potential age range could be important.  Thus 1st, 2nd and 3rd sigma may play an important part.

Archaeology

Ralph Salier