Archaeology/Help

Question
Sir please refer my class 9th economic s text book chap 1 story of village palampur, and please explain that why there is the need to create a imaginative village and the purpose is to introduce the concept of production, but sir why there is a need to create imaginative story to introduce the concept of production, in India there are many states, villages, from the story of those villages can be helped in introducing the basic concepts of production

Answer
Hi Aishwarya,

I though I had already responded to this question.  I'm sorry if it did not go through.  

The primary reason that an imaginary village is designed is so that the concept can be taught based on "best circumstances".  A village can arise from an agricultural basis, fishing basis or some other economic base.  So by "creating" one, these economic basis are removed from the equation.

This then allows the concept to be taught with out the interference of "reality".  Once a village is established and begins to grow, there are many basic similarities can can best be taught from a conceptual perspective.  Once the concepts are understood then looking at real villages one can then see how similar they are or how they differ.  Then theoretically one can determine why they may be different based on the conceptual version.

It may be due to the basis of the villages original economy, the casts that settled the village or changes over time such as warfare, changes in religious belief (going from Hindu to Buddhist) or other factors such as changes in climate or disasters such as Tsunami.  All of these may impact the conceptual version of a village and it is important to have a "base line" to work from.  

Archaeology

Ralph Salier