Architecture/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Wallpaper fixing in commercial aircrafts.2/5/2017Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Do you recommend to fix nice wallpaper inside commercial aircraft? Thanks Prashant
  A: Prashant, I do not recommend wallpaper anywhere. Especially within aircraft and where the ...
CCTV System installation in Tunnels.1/18/2017Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Is it feasible and useful to install CCTV system in Road,Rail and Underground Water Tunnels? Thanks ...
  A: Prashant, Considering that I have a few cameras set up to monitor and record activity for my ...
Petrol Pumps stations with Basement.1/14/2017Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Is it feasible and useful to design and construct petrol pumps stations with basement? Thanks ...
  A: Prashant, First we need to overcome a little bit of language barrier because we do not say ...
Fireplace grating12/23/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Mr. Burton, I hope you don't mind what is probably a very elementaryWhat is the purpose of the ...
  A: I am uncertain if you are referring to the protective screen between the fire place and the living ...
Circulation Space Percentage12/7/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I have a question about circulation space. After doing research I have found many places recommend ...
  A: Quinn, No, there is not a hard and fast rule about circulation space. Theoretically, you could ...
Using prefabricated metal buildings in residential, retail, and office applications10/17/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I have a two-part question dealing with prefabricated steel buildings. Quick back story, I am a big ...
  A: Quinn, I agree that pre-engineered metal buildings (PEMB) do provide a cost-effective advantage. ...
Using unused space10/5/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: My question is pertaining to the use of a former big box retail property. The said property is about ...
  A: Quinn, It has become a popular concept to make use of a roof top area as an occupied space. From a ...
Bldg. Footprint exceptional8/31/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: If i have an open space site development lot, do the balcony supporting by the strutures at the ...
  A: Thom, I am uncertain if I understand your question without an illustration. All support columns ...
draftstopping8/24/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I am designing a house with a storage room over a garage. we submitted the plans to the Building ...
  A: Carlos, Most likely the draftstop needs to be located above and in line with the fire-rated wall ...
Skywalk Gates Design.8/23/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Do you feel there will be advantages in implementing Opening and Closing Gates with locks for a ...
  A: Prashant. Yes, there will be advantages after implementing Opening and Closing Gates with locks for ...
Animation college8/22/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: how is career in animation?
  A: Arena, Just two months ago, an animation business located next to my architecture went bankrupt. ...
International airport design.8/15/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: What are the factors/parameters contributing to the number of terminals required in a international ...
  A: Prashant, I am assuming that your use of the word "terminal" describes a long building extension ...
Concert Hall Architecture Design for playing Orchestra.8/10/2016Nazim Nice
  Q: Do you feel concert hall architecture design could be a challenge to the architect from acoustics ...
  A: Acoustic Design is both a challenge and an opportunity to create something unique. It is critical to ...
Concert Hall Architecture Design for playing Orchestra.8/10/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Do you feel Concert Hall Architecture Design could be challenging for the architect from acoustics ...
  A: Prashant, That all depends on what type of architect you are asking about. For the best acoustic ...
Demand for Architects in United States.8/4/2016Nazim Nice
  Q: How much is the demand for Architects to do Business in United States? Thanks Prashant
  A: Good question. I would say that could be answered by looking at the AIA's billing index. Here is ...
Demand for Architects in United States.8/4/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: How much is the demand for doing business in United States for Architects? Thanks Prashant
  A: Prashant, If you were to ask me, "how much is the demand for family doctors and general ...
Stadium Architecture.7/30/2016Nazim Nice
  Q: Why the stadium architecture for playing outdoor games like cricket or football matches is not a ...
  A: Good question. A stadium roof is a very expensive structure to build, because of the long spans. And ...
Stadium Architecture.7/30/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Why the stadium architecture is not a closed structure for outdoor games like football or cricket? ...
  A: Prashant, Two reasons that come to my mind: 1) Building such a large roof is possible but also ...
construction in desert7/25/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I'm an architecture student. I just wanted to know that what will be the construction techniques and ...
  A: Saumya, The first step would be to read the words of Jesus Christ as recorded in Matthew Chapter 7 ...
Room Addition/Extension5/9/2016Thomas Buford
  Q: I need to have a new room built on the sunny side of our 1970 house for my special needs son, who is ...
  A: The extent of overhang needed is determined by the exposure and the latitude the project is in. A ...
new intern at retail architecture firm5/7/2016John Henry Architect
  Q: I graduated from school last May and it was a rough year with losing my mother to cancer and dealing ...
  A: I would hang in there for a few weeks but tell the manager who hired you that if they find you are ...
Isolating Concrete floor from Exposed foundation blocks and outside winter air5/6/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I have a one and a half year old 30 foot by 30 foot 2x6 stick built garage on 8 inch blocks with 4 ...
  A: Mike, No amount of insulation is going to compensate for the air infiltration around the garage ...
Garage Floor Insulation4/29/2016Thomas Buford
  Q: I have a two year old 2x6 stick built with OSB on the walls plywood on the roof with architectural ...
  A: I can not answer your question in detail without doing full blown energy calculations. I am not ...
Hello sir4/18/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: can u tell Why to become an architect ?
  A: You must become an architect if you have an over-developed sense of responsibility. If you want to ...
Architecture by location4/11/2016John Henry Architect
  Q: I'm trying to locate where this school is. It was used as the exteriors of a school for a TV show in ...
  A: This is very difficult to answer. The brick is normally a northern material and by the look of the ...
Floor Height/Dimensions4/1/2016John Henry Architect
  Q: Is there a standard for all buildings on how far the floor should be from the ceiling? I'm working ...
  A: Sounds like an interesting story! Starter homes are about 8-9 ft. floor to ceiling. Luxury homes we ...
Ceiling assembly3/1/2016Richard Burton AIA
  Q: I am designing a church and I need to find 1 hr rated ceiling assembly for a one hour rated ...
  A: Carlos, Although I am uncertain what your type of construction is (Type IIB), you will likely have ...
Fixer Upper2/27/2016Nazim Nice
  Q: I I live in Philadelphia, PA. but my Contractor lives in Doylestown, PA. can he do work on my House ...
  A: You should call the local building department to verify the requirements in your area. They are ...
Detecting Mansard Renovation12/30/2015Stephen Major
  Q: Referring to an old (1870s), small and modest "second empire" house in the Midwest, are there signs ...
  A: Bill, If the house was actually constructed in the 1870s, then it is possible, even likely, that it ...
Sprinkler12/7/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: This is a 11,000 s.f. metal building in Florida, that initially was a warehouse. The owner divided ...
  A: I assume that this is a one story building, Type IIB construction which is the same as Type II(000) ...
Elevation design & prototype design fee12/6/2015Nazim Nice
  Q: What best way can aesthetics be achieved in elevations.? What should be the design fee for a ...
  A: Shadows can help elevations read a lot clearer, by adding a sense of depth. Fees for prototypical ...
Steep Driveway in Boston11/1/2015Stephen Major
  Q: This site came up on a google search, linking to another steep driveway problem in Boston. In ...
  A: Jonathan, Sorry to take so long getting back to you. This is a difficult problem and as I sifted ...
Spray painting for Household and Automobiles10/26/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Spray painting with machine can be done for both Household walls as well as Automobiles?. Thanks ...
  A: Prashant, The brush does not require as much taping and masking that is normally required to ...
Wallpaper materials.10/26/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Which new Wallpaper materials can be experimented for sticking Wallpapers?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Prashant, Although I am uncertain if you are focused on the glue used to stick the paper to the ...
Verteniary Hospital Infrastructure.9/6/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Can you suggest Design model for Verteniary pets Hospital Infrastructure?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Prashant, My father is a retired veterinarian. Although I did not spend a lot of time helping him ...
Escalator Limitations.8/22/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Are there Escalator Limitations regarding it is not recommended above a certain height for Security ...
  A: Prashant, Escalators are typically restricted to only two stories per Chapter 7 of the IBC (Fire ...
Stencils for different languages.8/19/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Can we Design and Construct Stencils for different languages?. Examples - French, German, Spanish, ...
  A: Prashant, Are you asking about creating cut out stencils for each letter of the alphabet and for ...
Tunnel Shape.8/14/2015Richard Burton AIA
  Q: Can we Design tunnels without a circular shape?. Examples - Triangle, Square, Rectangle, Kite, ...
  A: Prashant, With today's technology, anything is possible. But the Romans determined 2,000 years ago ...
Tunnel Shapes.8/14/2015Brendan Cotter
  A: The circular design is the most responsive to the forces of all the earth/rock around the tunnel, ...
Marble flooring in airports runways.8/7/2015Nazim Nice
  Q: Is marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?. If yes, will you recommend?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Not likely due to how soft marble is and the weight necessary due to plane traffic. Nazim Nice ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA

Top Expert on this page