Architecture/Mansard Roof

Question
I am looking to "flip" a 1977 home with a Mansard roof.  I want to create a better curb appeal without making a huge investment that will put my investment upside down.  With that said I've had some contractors come up with two options.  One is to replace the shingles on the Mansard portion with new asphalt shingles, basically the same dated look.  Or to replace the shingles with vinyl shake shingle siding.  The first contractor said the vinyl concept can't be done due to water and ice damming issue #this is in Wisconsin#.  I feel the vinyl is a more updated look and would compliment the brick base of the house.  Would appreciate you thoughts!

Answer
Jim - thanks for your question.

I'm not familiar with any particular problems with ice-damming due to choice of siding; ice-damming is caused by venting and insulation problems, and is a roof issue, not a wall/siding issue.

But I'm a long way from Wisconsin...

I am familiar with vinyl shakes, however, and think they're "ok" for certain projects.  I prefer fiber-cement products, but they're much more expensive.

If you like the look, and there's no ice/snow issue that particular to WI, then go for it!

Architecture

Richard Taylor, AIA