Architecture/what do i need to become an architect

Question
hello,
my name is Jacob Hardin. i am 15 years old. in the future i am looking to be an architect. my address is 18302 Sharon rd, Shawnee Oklahoma 74801. i would like to know all the requirements to be an architect if it is possible would you send the information to this address instead of e-mail because i am not aloud to go to my e-mail at this point because of my Christian home. also i was wondering if i went to the air force and had gotten trained for architecture would that help my future preference of being a architect for homes,

Jacob Hardin

Answer
Four years of study to obtain your bachelor's of Architecture.
Two years of study to obtain your master's of Architecture.
Three years to complete your intern development program.
Two years to complete the Architectural Registration Exam.
The State of Oklahoma may - or may not - allow you to take your exams while completing your internship.

Among my fellow architects, we all agree that it takes approximately ten years to make an architect.  It takes less time to become a doctor and both education systems will limit you to only six hours of sleep each night.  A doctor will have his student loans paid off in less time compared to the architect who loves his job but works with clients who seem to think that our software is so sophisticated that it does all the work for us.  Not true.

I have twelve years experience in a local Airborne Ranger Unit.  It does nothing for me while designing homes or businesses.  The fact that I am currently designing a restaurant for someone who packed my parachutes is pure coincidence.

Only 4% of the homes being built in the United States are the result of a custom design produced by an Architect.  Most architects have no desire to design homes based on the fact that customers want to see dozens of design options, get very emotional towards the end of the design process, and have unrealistic expectations based solely on the fact that the architect is a "professional".  The average home owner does not realize what value an architect can provide and will instead ask an architect to do something that an architect is capable of doing (because we are thoroughly trained to do EVERYTHING) but then they want to pay a minimum fee for architectural services.  That's not good.

Commercial work designing strip malls, banks and office buildings is not filled with so much emotion and allows the architect to deal with clients that understand more fully what to expect from their architect.  No drama.  Fair payment for designs and drawings that are under budget and on delivered on time.

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
www.arrow-architecture.com
402-326-1212

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA