Architecture/Root/Storm Cellar DIY

Question
Would it be possible to build an in-ground cellar using only cinder blocks? This would include the floor and the roof. If so, how would it be done, and would it stand up as a storm shelter? We live in the Texas panhandle, so this is a concern. The hole will be approximately 12 feet on all sides.

Answer
CMU Storm Shelter
CMU Storm Shelter  
Yes.  I also live in an area frequented by tornadoes and I can appreciate a good storm shelter.

The attached illustration shows a center column to support the middle of a cast-in-place concrete key or beam.  That center column could be eliminated if you hire any structural engineer licensed in the state of Texas.  The added value provided by the structural engineer is an analysis of your soil conditions, specific depth below grade, general notes and specifications. With the exception of this concrete beam, everything else could be concrete masonry block - provided that you reinforce the cores with rebar and slug all of the cores full of concrete.  Special attention needs to be given to the size and spacing of steel rebar and waterproofing the outside of the shelter.

The parts of the shelter that are cast-in-place concrete have been highlighted in yellow.

Let me know how it turns out for ya.

Richard Burton AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
www.arrow-architecture.com

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA