Architecture/What is the style of my house?

House front
House front  
North side of house
North side of house  
QUESTION: We recently purchased a re-built home (built in 1956, destroyed by fire and rebuilt on original basement in 2009) which was only partially completed.  We have nearly finished the interior and hope to move the work to the exterior next year. It has some of the original roman brick on part of the front that we plan to keep.  However, because of the HUGE RV garage attached, the whole dwelling seems disproportionate.  We need design/style ideas before proceeding.  The attached picture gives an idea of our challenge.  We are thinking Hardi board for siding, and maybe shingles accent above garage door.  Our interior style is Arts/Crafts/Craftsman.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions and please ask away if you need more information.

Well, the first question I have is do you need to keep this huge garage door? Because if you don't, and you can replace it with a regular height garage door, that will immediately help the situation. Then you could break up the siding above the door, possibly adding a small square window. Sometimes a trellis structure over the garage door can help to lessen the visual impact of the door too.

It looks like there is not much brick left on the house? You might want to ask yourself if it makes sense to keep any of it, or just start a new scheme with hardiplank and/or hardishingles, or hardiboard w/ battens. I would look at possibly mixing two materials. There are a couple examples on our website:

Hope this helps get you started.

Nazim Nice
Principal / Architect
Motionspace Architecture + Design Websites: Seattle Architects
Read our Seattle Architecture Blog
Learn more about us: Seattle Architects information
Learn more about our services: Seattle Architecture and Design Services
Levels of services: Seattle Architects Services
Frequently asked architect questions answered by a: Seattle Architect
Contact Motionspace - Seattle Architects
A list of all our completed projects:Seattle Architects Projects

See our completed projects at:  Seattle Architecture Projects
Lake Washington Waterfront House
New American Farmhouse
Green Home Design at Rim Rock Ranch
Green Lake House Remodel
Seattle Condo Remodel
Seattle Craftsman Remodel
Seattle Mid-Century Modern Remodel
Seattle Brick Home Remodel
Mercer Island Remodel
Seattle Capitol Hill Craftsman Remodel
Seattle Basement Remodel
Seattle Bungalow Remodel
Seattle Second Story Addition
Seattle Outdoor Kitchen Design
Seattle Townhouse Design
Seattle Bathroom Remodel
Kirkland Bathroom Remodel
Seattle Porch Design
Seattle New Home Design
Bellevue House Addition
Bellevue Landscape Design
Swimming Pool Design
Seattle Entry Design
Bellevue Daycare Design
Seattle Tenant Improvement Design
Seattle School Design

Looking for an architect? Seattle Architect
Remodeling your bathroom: Seattle Bathroom Remodel
Laundry and mudroom design: Seattle Mudroom and Laundry Room Design
Remodeling your entire house: Seattle Whole House Remodel
Information on Seattle Home additions: Seattle Home Additions
Adding a roof deck: Seattle Roof Deck Design
Choosing exterior colors and materials: Exterior Houe Colors
Read about remodeling your basement: Seattle Basement Remodel
Consider adding a second story addition: Seattle Second Story Addition
Sustainable and green design resources: Seattle Green House Design
Information on garage additions: Seattle Garage Additions
Choosing Kitchen Materials: Seattle Kitchen Design
Kitchen Remodels: Seattle Kitchen Remodel
New House Design: Seattle New House Design

CHECK OUT OUR NEWEST PRODUCT - Custom Engraved switchplates: Switch Labels
See our gallery of products: Custom Engraved Switchplates
Send in your own switchplates: Light Switch Labels
Uses for our Custom Engraved Switchplates

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply.  The example pictures were quite helpful.  The large garage door will remain in order to house an RV, so we will need to come up with ideas to minimize it visually.  We like the old brick, and plan on cleaning it up/staining and sealing.  The trick is not to get too many things going on and keep the exterior as simple as possible, is what I'm thinking.  So brick and plank siding will probably be our two materials of choice. If we continue the brick partially up both sides of the garage, that might help tie it all in a little better?  That, and choosing a neutral color palette.

Again, thank you for you ideas.

Hi Lea,

If you are going to keep the brick, then probably incorporating some onto the facade of the garage will help tie things together. Since the garage door is large you might carry the brick around a little higher than normal so it appears proportional to the garage door. About where the black building paper is located is probably a good height. It would be good to take the brick around the side facade, ideally all the way around but at least wrap a few feet back. A well placed plant or tree can help hide this transition. Keep in mind you will need something to support the brick at the garage. Typically this is done with a steel angle if the foundation was not poured with a ledge.

I agree with keeping the exterior simple and clean. Don't make it too busy, and see how you can tie things together as much as possible visually. And don't underestimate the value of landscaping too to soften architecture and make it look more appealing.

Best of luck to you!

Nazim Nice

I am a Seattle Architect and can answer architecture and design related questions. Ask me about material suggestions or usage. Ask me about design options - what is good design and what is bad. Ask me about choosing exterior house colors and furniture layout options. Ask me about detailing and assembling houses or components in the home. Ask me about green design or materials. Ask me about choosing an architect, the architectural services, basement remodels, second story additions, and whole house remodels. Ask me about garage design, bathroom remodels, laundry and mudroom design, family room additions, and roof deck additions.

Over 12 years of practice in the Architectural field including three years of internship plus 5 years of school. I have taught at the Knowlton School of Architecture at the Ohio State University and lectured at Carnegie Mellon University. I currently own and run the Seattle Architecture Firm, Motionspace Architecture + Design PLLC.

National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB, Seattle Architects | Motionspace Architecture + Design. More information at our blog the (un)common house. Lumen ID Custom Engraved Switch Plates with Labels.

BArch from Carnegie Mellon University & Andrew Carnegie Scholar