Architecture/Options to add space

Question
House
House  

floor plans
floor plans  
Hi Richard,

We own a 10 year old house. Our family is getting bigger and we require more room. We have not approached an architect yet since we are still evaluating if we should reno vs new house.

We cannot expand in the basement. So we must look at expanding on the first and second floors. We require at least an additional bedroom, another bathroom and a bigger main living area adn kitchen.

Given your expertise, and the layout of our house, what could be good options (back addition, expand in garage, shed dormers, etc.) to evaluate at this point? What types of addition are common on this type of house?

Attached are the layouts of the house. Above the garage is the master bedroom (attic trusses). Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Answer
Good morning Stephane - thanks for your questions.

Let's start with your last question - there's no "common" addition to this type of house; what's important to the style of the house is that the new work looks like it was done that way originally.

Actually, what's all too common is an addition that looks like an addition...know what I mean?  Make sure you avoid that, 'cause it's a cute house now!

I assume you need to add bedrooms?  It looks to me that there's a good connection already to the attic space over the garage - that's probably the place to start.

That will mean removing the entire garage roof, reinforcing the walls, probably adding a beam, and building a new second floor above, but that's given the proximity of the attic to the other bedrooms it seems the most obvious choice.

Any other option would mean building a first floor addition to support the new second floor (far more expensive and unnecessary!).

Depending on your needs however, you might consider adding a master suite on the first floor - that's more costly, but would give you an additional bath (which you probably badly need!) and if properly placed, would still give you the possibility of adding bedrooms above if you need to someday.

Architecture

Richard Taylor, AIA